Would you love to have clear, radiant and healthy skin? Many people spend a lot of money on ‘miracle products’ and procedures but truly healthy skin comes from within. Smooth, clear skin is a sign of a body supported by healthy lifestyle and diet, rich in good quality fresh food and nutrients. By making the following the dietary and lifestyle suggestions, you can improve the way your skin looks and feels.
- Eat a rainbow of colours – green, red, yellow and blue fruits and vegetables are high in vitamins and antioxidants.
- Good quality protein – needs to be eaten regularly to build new skin cells. Protein is also important for maintaining your skin’s elasticity and firmness. Good sources include organic lean meat, chicken, eggs and fish.
- Fibre rich foods – such as legumes and whole grains can help to improve digestion and eliminate toxins.
- Bitter foods are friends of the liver – and important for skin health. Lemon, rocket, kale, chicory and endive are delicious and make a great salad.
- Good fats give the skin moisture – and reduce dry, patchy and irritated skin. Sources include oily fish, avocado, olive oil, nuts and seeds.
- Ensure you are getting enough water – which plumps the skin and keeps it clear. Warm water with a squeeze of lemon is a prefect way to start the day. Herbal teas also help keep skin hydrated.
- Avoid alcohol soft drinks and caffeine – which dehydrate your skin and depletes it of many nutrients including vitamin C which is needed for collagen formation.
Live a radiant lifestyle:
- Daily exercise – oxygenates the skin and results in healthier, firmer and more nourished skin. Exercise also tones your muscles, reduces the appearance of cellulite and gives you a natural glow.
- Avoid cigarettes – active and passive smoking cause premature aging and nutrient depletion. Walk away from people smoking around you.
- Beauty sleep – boosts the immune system and improves your complexion. Aim for 8 hours every night.
- Use natural skin care products – Check the ingredients you are using on your skin and ensure you buy as natural as possible. Avoid sulphates, benzoates, parabens at all cost! Check out this site for more information http://safecosmetics.org/
- Cleanse your skin daily – with a plant-based cleanser that is pH balanced and does not feel dry.
- Moisturise to hydrate and smooth – this is also protective and maintains healthy, youthful looking skin.
- Exfoliate for a healthy glow – Skin brushing and body scrubs stimulate the circulation, increase elimination and encourage healthy toned skin. A facial exfoliant should be very gentle and used twice weekly to refine the complexion and remove dead skin cells.
- Smile! This makes everyone feel good!